Intra-Gastric Balloon Procedure in Houston (Losing Weight and Looking Great with the Gastric Balloon Weight-Loss Procedure)
Losing weight can be a challenging proposition for many of us. Modern surgical and nonsurgical options can provide added help in managing weight issues and achieving a healthier lifestyle. One of the most innovative, effective and approved by the FDA procedures available today is the non-permanent Orbera™ Intragastric balloon, which safely and effectively trains your stomach to accept smaller portions and has helped patients lose up to 40 lbs over a period of 12 months. Recent studies have demonstrated that the weight loss achieved averaged 3 times that of traditional exercise and nutrition treatment.
What is an Intra-gastric Balloon and How does it Work?
The Orbera™ intra-gastric balloon is a soft silicone balloon that is inserted into the stomach through the mouth using endoscopic equipment. At the time of the insertion, the balloon is completely deflated. Once the device has been placed in the stomach it is then inflated with sterile saline to fill some of the space inside your stomach. You can expect to be sedated during this procedure. The balloon in your stomach will allow you to enjoy a feeling of fullness and limits the portion size you can ingest during meals and snacks. Most patients experience significant weight loss as a result of these gastric balloon procedures, which can be performed at our local AAAHC Certified SurgiCenter facility.
The Intra-Gastric Balloon Procedure
Because Orbera™ intra-gastric balloon implants are non-invasive and nonsurgical solutions to your weight loss issues, the procedure can usually be performed on an outpatient basis and may take as little as 20 minutes to complete.
- First, a light sedative will be administered to help you relax. Additionally, a numbing agent will be applied to your throat to allow you to swallow the endoscope more easily.
- The endoscope will then be inserted into your throat and carefully introduced into your esophagus and stomach.
- Once the endoscope is in place, your physician will position the balloons into your stomach in the appropriate place. They will then use a thin catheter to fill the balloons with saline solution treated with a special dye. If your gastric balloons leak or burst, this dye will provide you with ample warning and can ensure the fastest possible response for these situations.
- When the balloons are properly positioned and filled with saline solution, your specialist will remove the catheters and allow the balloons to seal automatically.
The endoscope will also be removed to complete the procedure.
- Your doctor may ask that you stay at our clinic for one or two hours after your procedure to make sure that you recover as expected. Most gastric balloon procedures are designed to last for six months or less, after which time they should be removed from the stomach. Throughout this process, your physician will work with you to ensure the most positive results and the healthiest weight-loss process for you.
Am I the Right Candidate for the Intra-Gastric Balloon?
The Orbera™ Intra-Gastric Balloon is a non-surgical, non-invasive weight loss procedure designed to help patients who are considerate moderately overweight (20-40 lbs overweight and has a BMI of 30-40). The intra-gastric balloon will jumpstart patients to achieve their weight loss goals in a year long process. This program is intended for patients who are willing to make radical changes to their lifestyle in order to inspire more healthy habits.
Risks and Benefits of Gastric Balloons
Orbera™ intra-gastric balloon implants are specifically intended to help patients reduce their intake of food. Overeating while these implants are in place can cause severe nausea and vomiting. Additionally, you may experience nausea if you eat foods high in fat or sugar. For most patients, the benefits of this procedure significantly outweigh the drawbacks. Some of the most important advantages of gastric balloon procedures include the following:
- Improved health and the loss of a significant amount of weight
- Minimal recovery time
- Potential improvements in blood sugar control for patients with Type 2 diabetes
Losing weight can also reduce the risks of high blood pressure and cardiovascular conditions, allowing patients to enjoy improved health and increased fitness after their Orbera™ Intra-Gastric Balloon weight-loss procedure. If you are considering an intra- gastric balloon procedure to help you lose a significant amount of weight, Dr. Edward M. Piña can provide you with the most accurate guidance and the best solution to determine if this nonsurgical solution is right for you. Call us today at 713-661-5255 to set up your free initial consultation. The entire team at Piña Cosmetic Surgery is ready to provide the extraordinary care you desire and deserve bringing out the new you.
Call to Schedule a Consultation – 800-544-1269