When you think surgery, you might be scared and unsure what to expect. Facelift surgery is a relatively safe surgery with an experienced Houston plastic surgeon. It does depend on the type of facelift that is performed, for example a mini-facelift will have minimal side effects compared more extensive facelifts. If you’re thinking about a facelift in Houston, here is what you can expect:
- Pain: Like any surgery, pain is expected. However, it’s minimal pain and the surgeon will generally prescribe pain medication. If the pain is sudden or severe you should inform your physician immediately.
- Swelling: This is the body’s natural reaction to any surgery and it may come to a surprise but it will subside as the body heals itself. Again, it depends on how big the procedure was and it might swell weeks after the facelift surgery.
- Bruising: This will be the most noticeable after the facelift surgery, a natural reaction after a facelift but it will generally disappear within a few weeks.
- Numbness: Generally, numbness will happen along the incision lines and it usually does disappear within a few days.
- Scarring: Whenever the skin is broken, your body will repair it and a scar is created. A professional plastic surgeon will successfully hide the scars where it won’t be seen. The scar will be a pinkish color before it becomes a white color but it will hardly be seen because the incision is usually above the hairline.
All the mentioned side effects are the norm with any surgery, keep in mind that a face lift surgery is one of the safest cosmetic procedures and with an experienced plastic surgeon the risks are minimal. Some complications that can occur with a facelift surgery are:
- Facial Nerve Injury: Usually this is temporary and the risk is greater with more complicated facelift surgery.
- Hematoma: If bleeding occurs under the skin, the doctor will monitor the progress. The risk of hematoma can be reduced by avoiding anti-inflammatory drugs before surgery.
- Infection: Whenever the skin is broken, infection is a risk. However, it’s minimal and the surgeon will prescribe antibiotics to prevent this risk.
- Problems with Skin Healing: There is an increased change of problems with the healing process if the patient smokes.