If you are a woman living in Houston, breast implants are one way to boost your confidence and self-esteem. That said, breast augmentation surgery certainly is not a risk-free procedure. Therefore, as a leader in Houston cosmetic surgery, we believe it’s important to research as much information as you can before getting the procedure done. While Dr. Piña will cover the risks you need to know during your free consultation, it never hurts to conduct your own research as well.
According to the American Society of Plastic Surgeons, some of the risks that you may incur when undergoing breast augmentation surgery include:
- Unfavorable scarring
- Bleeding (hematoma)
- Poor healing of incisions
- Changes in nipple or breast sensation, may be temporary or permanent
- Capsular contracture, which is the formation of firm scar tissue around the implant
- Implant leakage or rupture
- Wrinkling of the skin over the implant
- Anesthesia risks
- Fluid accumulation
- Blood clots
- Pain, which may persist
- Deep vein thrombosis, cardiac and pulmonary complications
- Possibility of revisional surgery
They also say that breast implants may not last forever and you could need future surgery to replace or both implants. Furthermore, they suggest that pregnancy, weight loss, and menopause can change the appearance of your breast implants during the course of your lifetime.